One of the great things about living the Christian life is finding out that God has a plan and purpose for our lives. The Bible even tells us in Ephesians 2:10 that He prepared it before the world was made!
One thing I have noticed about finding God’s will for our lives is that many times as Christians we are almost crippled and do nothing because we don’t want to step out of God’s will. We are afraid to do anything just in case it is not part of God’s plan for us.
What I have found though as a Christian is that God guides and leads us in different ways. Sometimes it is a loud call that comes and it is undeniable, some times it is an opportunity to do something new that we have a peace about moving forward in and at other times a desire to do something rises up within us.
St Augustine who was one of the early church theologians (354-430 AD) talked about how the desire rises up within us in one of his writings. He said, “Love God and please yourself”. Now he wasn’t saying to do whatever you want, he was saying that if we love God and are following Him, the desire to do what God wants will naturally flow out from inside us.
This thought is echoed in Psalm 37:4. It says, “Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart”. This tells us that if we are delighting ourselves in God, we will love the things that He loves and the desire to do His will overtake our hearts. God’s will, becomes our hearts desire and then He will bring it to pass as we step out and do it.
So here is some questions regarding the desires of your heart…
- Have you got a heart for helping young people follow God?
- Have you got a desire to reach out with compassion to your community?
- Have you got a desire to write devotional or discipleship materials to help others follow God in a deeper way?
- Have you got a desire to be a missionary or support missionaries financially?
- Have you got a desire to develop a vaccine that cures or slows a diseases progress?
- Have you got a desire to preach God’s Word?
- Have you got a desire to Pastor or plant a church?
If you are walking closely with God you might just find that these desires were placed there by God and it might be His will for the next chapter of your life. Why not trust the desires of your heart and prayerfully step out in faith.