A lot of people I speak to as I go about my daily life tell me they have a belief in God. They say that they believe there is a God who is in control of things.
However when you go a bit deeper you find that it is a very vague understanding and “faith” that there is a God somewhere out there. As we talk I try to explain to them that to have a saving faith in God, you need to have more than a vague belief that God exists.
The Bible tells us that faith it is about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, understanding who He is and what He has done for us.
Here are some of the things we need to understand about saving faith. If you read the dot points and then hover over the Bible verses you will be able to read what the Bible says.
- We need to believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God (John 20:30-31).
- We need to accept that we have sinned and fallen short of God’s standards (Romans 3:23)
- We need to believe that He came to earth to die on the cross for our sin that separated us from God (1 Peter 3:18, Romans 5:8) .
- We need to believe that God raised Jesus back to life (Romans 10:9-10).
- We need to confess our sin to God and ask for His forgiveness (1 John 1:9).
- We need to ask Jesus into our lives and accept Him as our Lord and Saviour (John 1:12, Revelation 3:20).
Saving faith is not about what we do to save ourselves. It is about believing in Jesus Christ and what He has done for us. Our part is to receive Him into our lives and then live our lives for Him.
If you would like to receive Jesus into your life today and find peace with God (Romans 5:1), you can pray this prayer right now.
Dear Lord Jesus, I believe that You are the Son of God. I believe that You came to earth to die on the cross for my sin and that God raised You back to life. I apologise for all the wrong things I have done in my life and I ask for Your forgiveness. Please come into my life and be my Lord and Saviour. I pray that from this day forward I will be able to live for You. Amen.
If you prayed this prayer it means that Jesus is now in your life. Your sins are forgiven and you will spend eternity with God! I would encourage you to visit this page on my website to find out what to do next – What next!