In Romans 12:1-21 NLT we see a section that talks about being a living sacrifice for God. If we break up these verses we see nine things that help understand what it is to be a living sacrifice.
1. Renew your mind from worldly patterns to Kingdom patterns (v2)
2. Realise you belong to others, we are all part of Christ’s body (v3-5)
3. Use your God given gifts to bless others (v6-8)
4. Really love others with genuine affection, don’t just pretend (9-10)
5. Work hard and serve God enthusiastically (v11)
6. When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them (v13)
7. Live at harmony with each other, bless and pray for those who persecute you (v14-16)
8. Don’t take revenge or pay back evil with evil, let God deal with it (v17-19)
9. Don’t let evil conquer you, overcome evil with good (20-21)
Some of these things can be easy to do, while others can be hard. That is where the being a living sacrifice comes in. It is where the rubber hits the road as they say.
I wonder which ones are easy for you and come naturally? I wonder which ones are harder and struggle with? Why not take some time to prayerfully reflect on these nine things today?