I was doing a word study on the words “one another”. I decided to start with the books written by the Apostle Paul. In Paul’s writings the words appear 32 times in 31 verses in the NIV.
Below are a few of the examples…
- Romans 12:10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.
- Romans 12:16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not think you are superior.
- Romans 13:8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
- Romans 14:13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.
- Romans 15:7 Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.
- Romans 15:14 I myself am convinced, my brothers and sisters, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with knowledge and competent to instruct one another.
- Romans 16:16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ send greetings.
- 1 Corinthians 1:10 I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.
- 1 Corinthians 16:20 All the brothers and sisters here send you greetings. Greet one another with a holy kiss.
- 2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.
- 2 Corinthians 13:12 Greet one another with a holy kiss.
- Galatians 5:13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
- Ephesians 4:2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
- Ephesians 4:32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
- Ephesians 5:19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord,
- Ephesians 5:21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
- Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
- Colossians 3:16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:9 Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:3 We ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love all of you have for one another is increasing.
- Hebrews 3:13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.
- Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,
- Hebrews 10:25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
- Hebrews 13:1 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters.
If we read over these verses and pay special attention to the bolded sections we can see that we are supposed to love, encourage, forgive, admonish, submit to, instruct, spur, be compassionate, serve and accept one another.
Food for thought.