I shared this for communion at church today…
Peace with God Through Faith
For communion today I want a wonderful passage from Romans 5. In this passage we will see some great truths the Bible says we have if we trust Christ for our salvation.
Rom 5:1 Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.
Rom 5:2 Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory.
Rom 5:3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.
Rom 5:4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.
Rom 5:5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because He has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love.
Rom 5:6 When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.
Rom 5:7 Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good.
Rom 5:8 But God showed His great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.
Rom 5:9 And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, He will certainly save us from God’s condemnation.
Rom 5:10 For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of His Son while we were still His enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of His Son.
Rom 5:11 So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God.
In this passage we see some wonderful truths.
- We have peace with God – no longer do we have to wonder if we are right with God. We have peace with Him. The Bible calls Jesus the prince of peace and He gives it to us. As the we know it is a peace that is not of this world.
- We have undeserved privilege – because of Christ’s death for us we have new standing with God. Hebrews tells us that we can boldly come into His presence. And as God’s children, we will share in His glory.
- We have God’s love in our hearts – the reading tells us that God has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with God’s love.
- We have a Saviour who gave all for us – At the right time Jesus came and did what only He could do. No-one else in all history could die for us. Jesus as the perfect sacrifice purchased our salvation.
- We have no condemnation – we are right with God because of Christ’s shed blood. We are now free from condemnation and the wrath of God. God does not condemn us.
- We have a new relationship with God – our friendship with God has been restored by the death of Jesus. We were enemies, but now we are God’s friends.
These 6 six things are some of what Christ has done for us. His death on the cross for us gives us peace with God, we have our sins forgiven, we are no longer condemned and facing God’s wrath, and we are now friends with God.
Let us pray.