In the beginning of the Book of Joshua God told Joshua six important things to do. This happened just after Israel’s great leader Moses had died.
Joshua 1:1-9 – After the death of Moses the LORD’s servant, the LORD spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, 2 “Moses My servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead these people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them. 3 I promise you what I promised Moses: ‘Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you– 4 from the Negev wilderness in the south to the Lebanon mountains in the north, from the Euphrates River in the east to the Mediterranean Sea in the west, including all the land of the Hittites.’ 5 No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you. 6 “Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. 8 Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. 9 This is My command–be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
Here are six keys from Joshua 1:1-9…
1. God told Joshua to lead the people (v2) – Moses had just died and they needed someone strong to lead them to the promised land. Joshua was the one God had chosen.
2. God told Joshua of the promise (v2-5) – God promised He would give them land, help and victory. In verses 3-4 God spoke of the promise of land and in verse 5 He said “no-one would be able to stand against them”.
3. God told Joshua to be strong (v 6, 7, 9) – Three times in four verses God told Joshua to be strong and courageous. He would need to be if he was going to fulfil all God wanted him to do.
4. God told Joshua to obey Moses (v7) – Moses had been a great leader and Joshua was his close to him. Now Joshua had to remember all Moses’ instructions and to not deviate from them.
5. God told Joshua to study the Book (v8) – A key to Joshua’s success would be to study the Book – God’s Word. He was told to study it and reflect on it deeply (meditate). This is a key to being successful.
6. God told Joshua of His presence (v9) – The final things God said in this passage is that He would go with them. He would not have t be afraid because God would be with them wherever they went.
In this short passage of nine verses is everything Joshua needed to know and do to lead the people well. If we are in leadership or taking on a new venture, they are good things for us to remember today.