Proverbs 19:20 NLT – Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life.
As committed Christians gaining wisdom by receiving advice and instruction as we go through life should be a goal for us. It is part of the process that makes us more like Christ.
I have found there are at least five ways to gain in wisdom.
- Read the Bible – read large chunks of the Bible. Take it in and let it sink into youur heart and mind. Our thinking gets brain washed by the world, it is better to have our brains washed by the Word!
- Study and meditate on the Bible – study at Bible college, study at your church, study at home in private. Really meditate on God’s Word and let it change you from the inside out.
- Learn from wise people – if we want to grow we have to be around wise people. Wise people can pass on their experience and give us intruction. Never stop listening and learning.
- Pray and ask for wisdom – James 1:5 tells us to ask God for wisdom and He will gladly give it. Ask for wisdom when you don’t know what to do and ask for general wisdom. God will give it to you.
- Commit your ways to God – one of the most wise things we can do is commit our ways to God. This means to follow His commands and decrees for this life.
Growing in wisdom is about feeding yourself the right things and doing the things that make you grow. It is about listening to God and listening to the wise people in our lives.
So today, get all the advice and instruction you can.