In the above passage from Psalm 119:9-16 it gives us some clues to staying pure in a world that tries to contaminate us and shipwreck our faith.
These clues all revolve around God’s Word – the Bible.
1. Obedience – the writer wants to obey God’s commands. This is a great place to start in staying pure – the desire for obedience.
2. Staying – next we see the writer declares they do not want to wander away. They want to stay on track with God.
3. Hidden – the next key is having God’s Word hidden in the heart. This means to hold it deeply inside or to cherish it.
4. Teach – in verse 11 the writer asks God to teach them His decrees. There is a deep desire to learn, grow and be taught.
5. Recite – verse 13 then moves on to reciting or speaking out God’s Word. This helps to hear it differently when the Bible is read out aloud.
6. Rejoice – the next key is genuinely rejoicing over God’s Word. The Bible gives us so much. Our salvation alone is worth infinitely more than riches.
7. Study – studying God’s Word is so much more than reading it. The best investment we will ever make in time spent studying the Bible.
8. Remember – lastly this passage reminds us not to forget God’s Word. Memorising Scripture is key to staying pure. Jesus quoted Scripture when tempted by the devil.
There are a number of things we can do in this life to remain pure. Much of it revolves around digging in to God’s Word – the Bible.
If we love it, commit to reading and studying it, we will be strong in our faith. This combined with prayer and relying on the Holy Spirit helps us to remain pure.