Audio: Shine brightly
““You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” Matthew 5:14-16 NLT
I have just come back from a gym workout and this verse has been rolling around in my spirit. Two things have been echoing inside me in this season of Coronavirus.
1. You are the light of the world – this was addressed to all Christians. We are the light of the world. As the text says you don’t put a light under a basket. Meaning you don’t hide it away where it can’t benefit anyone. You want the light to shine so it makes a difference.
2. Let this light shine – in our case as Christians when we do good deeds to our family, friends and neigbours, our light shines for all to see. This in turn brings praise and glory to God.
As I reflect on this it makes me wonder what I can do in this current crisis to shine light for others to see. Some things that come quickly to mind are…
- Not to hoard food. It is wise to stock up a bit to provide for our families. But we have to remember God promises to look after us and be our provider.
- To look out for others. Are there people around me I can check in on and see if they need help, supplies or encouragement. Even a phone call, text or email can help.
- Be kind. The last thing I want to do is be rude to others at the shops or doctors. I need to remember that I am Christ’s ambassador wherever I go. In the good times and the bad.
I need to remember that light shines best in the darkness. When times are dark or tough, my light can shine better and be brighter.
How about you? What things can you do to shine today?
Stay well and be blessed,